Welcome to the self-proclaimed Rural Ottawa High-Speed Internet Blog. High-speed Internet access is virtually ubiquitous in the urban and suburban areas of Ottawa, but when I started this blog in 2005, only about 60% of the rural areas of Ottawa have coverage. However, even for rural citizens, high-speed Internet access is becoming as necessary as telephone service. Happily, high-speed coverage for rural Ottawa has increased significantly, and not only is coverage reportedly above 90%, many rural residents and businesses now have more than one choice of high-speed ISP.

This purpose of this weblog is to track news and events related to high-speed (broadband) Internet access in the rural areas of Ottawa and, to a lesser extent, in nearby townships.

RSS Feed

I think members of this blog can be notified of any new postings via email. Membership is free (and I won't spam you). As well, if you have an RSS news reader, you can easily be notifed of new postings to this blog by subscribing to: http://firstlinehs.blogspot.com/atom.xml

Postings & Moderation

I've opened up this blog to allow anyone to post to it. However, I continue to moderate and will remove any inappropriate content, e.g. anything not related to high-speed internet access in the rural Ottawa, the Ottawa Valley, Eastern Ontario, and the Outaouais.


Monday, August 28, 2006

Arryba High-Speed Internet Feed to Halt Soon

I've just received an email from Steve Schauland of Arryba Communicatons, stating that the high-speed Internet feed which delivers service to Arryba's network will be shutting down by the end of this week.

For Arryba subscribers looking for alternative Internet access, especially high-speed access, consider:


One Arryba subscriber contacted Storm customer service, which informed him that Internet
service will continue to Arryba customers as long as they have signed up at the website;
someone from Storm will be contacting them.

There is no more billing from Arryba Communications Inc. The only new billing you should have is with the new ISP you sign with. I am not sure what is happening with subscribers who signed 1-, 2-, or 3-year contracts with Arryba.

NO ONE should be attempting to take or seize the subscriber units from Arryba Communications either.

2 Comments:

Blogger ohpinion8ted said...

I've just contacted Storm about transitioning my service to them. I had emailed them about one week ago with no response. They did confirm on the call that I was on their list and as a result I would continue to receive service. They also informed me that they were replacing all of the Arryba equipment at each of the existing 14 towers with their own equipment which is essentially identical. They will then contact each subscriber and have them make some configuration changes on their machines. During that process there will be a small amount of downtime. He did not have any indication of when the transition would begin. So - sounds good so far. If you have not contacted them yet then I recommend you do quickly.

September 05, 2006 11:36 am  
Blogger Chris Spencer said...

Yes, this is essentially the same story that I got when I spoke with them on Friday. I wonder if Storm is waiting to takeover Arryba equipment or not?

September 05, 2006 4:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home