Welcome to the self-proclaimed Rural Ottawa High-Speed Internet Blog. High-speed Internet access is virtually ubiquitous in the urban and suburban areas of Ottawa, but when I started this blog in 2005, only about 60% of the rural areas of Ottawa have coverage. However, even for rural citizens, high-speed Internet access is becoming as necessary as telephone service. Happily, high-speed coverage for rural Ottawa has increased significantly, and not only is coverage reportedly above 90%, many rural residents and businesses now have more than one choice of high-speed ISP.

This purpose of this weblog is to track news and events related to high-speed (broadband) Internet access in the rural areas of Ottawa and, to a lesser extent, in nearby townships.

RSS Feed

I think members of this blog can be notified of any new postings via email. Membership is free (and I won't spam you). As well, if you have an RSS news reader, you can easily be notifed of new postings to this blog by subscribing to: http://firstlinehs.blogspot.com/atom.xml

Postings & Moderation

I've opened up this blog to allow anyone to post to it. However, I continue to moderate and will remove any inappropriate content, e.g. anything not related to high-speed internet access in the rural Ottawa, the Ottawa Valley, Eastern Ontario, and the Outaouais.


Thursday, July 03, 2008

My Xplornet Update: after 3 weeks

It's now been 3 weeks since I was converted from Storm's wireless internet service to Xplornet's wireless internet service. My last posting generated a lot of comments, so I thought I'd post a follow-up.

During the last 3 weeks, my Xplornet experience has had highs and lows. Here's a summary:

  1. My first attempt at technical support was using email to request a second email address. This was resolved within 2 business days.
  2. My second attempt at getting technical from Xplornet was via phone. I was on-hold for 10-15 minutes without talking to anyone. I hung up.
  3. Attempt #3 was also by phone. My internet service had been down for 6 hours, so I called to see what was up (or not up). I was on-hold for 10-15 minutes, then got a tier 1 techie who me ran through her script, which involved disconnecting my router, messing with my PC's config, and several reboots, none of which resolved the issue. She transferred me to tier 2 support, where I was placed on-hold for another 15 minutes or so. During this time, I power-cycled both my router and the Xplornet modem, and got connectivity. So I hung up.
  4. Another email to technical support was also responded to within 48 hours, although the answer was useless. I was complaining about intermittent connection drops and stalls (which affected my connectivity and thus my productivity while I was connected to my customer's network), and the guy said I had to call them while it was happening. Given the short duration of the problems, and the long on-hold times of Xplornet's tech support, I've so far declined to call them on it.
  5. The latest call to technical support was very interesting. I was only on-hold for a couple of minutes when I got to talk to someone who didn't even attempt to walk me through a script. I was complaining that my 5 Mbps service had been giving sustained speeds of 400-900 Kbps, which made it worse than the sustained rates I was getting on my 3 Mbps Storm service. The guy checked a few things, put me on-hold for a minute, and then came back to tell me that the tower servicing my radio didn't support 5 Mbps. This struck me as odd, so I asked him why this wasn't identified once my radio was installed and they knew what tower would be providing service; he didn't know the answer. What he did do was set my service to 3 Mbps and credit the difference back to my account. BTW, my radio is pointed at the tower behind the city of Ottawa's client services centre on Roger Stevens Drive in North Gower.
  6. A funny thing is that reducing my service to 3 Mbps seems to have resolved the intermittent problems that I had experienced, and I actually got a higher sustained download rate of ~1.2 Mbps. Today, I was logged into a customer's network for ~7 hours without any connectivity problems from my end, and the VoIP call that I had going simultaneously for ~7 hours only experienced one short stutter (which is a vast improvement in the quality of the same VoIP client's calls over Storm's network).
  7. You might have noticed that we've had a lot of heavy rain and fog in Ottawa lately. The Xplornet service seems stable enough in bad weather, comparable to Storm.


My overall grade for Xplornet so far is 6.5/10, mostly because of problems and delays that I've had with their tech support. The wait times are too long, and I was disappointed with the "5 Mbps on a 3 Mbps tower" scenario. At this point, I'm going to stay with Xplornet but am glad that I've only signed a one-year contract. A friend of mine in Carp has had Xplornet 3 Mbps service for several months now, and says he likes the service.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mind if I ask what the ping is on the wireless service?

Thanks

July 10, 2008 10:44 am  
Blogger Chris Spencer said...

@Anonymous:

To popular websites like google.ca and yahoo.ca, I'm seeing 50-60ms typically:

>ping google.ca

Pinging google.ca [64.233.161.104] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.233.161.104: bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=245
Reply from 64.233.161.104: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=245
Reply from 64.233.161.104: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=245
Reply from 64.233.161.104: bytes=32 time=55ms TTL=245

Ping statistics for 64.233.161.104:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 45ms, Maximum = 55ms, Average = 48ms

>ping yahoo.ca

Pinging yahoo.ca [206.190.60.37] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 206.190.60.37: bytes=32 time=56ms TTL=52
Reply from 206.190.60.37: bytes=32 time=60ms TTL=53
Reply from 206.190.60.37: bytes=32 time=89ms TTL=53
Reply from 206.190.60.37: bytes=32 time=53ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 206.190.60.37:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 53ms, Maximum = 89ms, Average = 64ms

July 10, 2008 6:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home